Here are some of the latest stories about UK university COVID-19 projects and initiatives shared on social media in the last 24 hours.
1. Open University students actively support the national response to COVID-19
Open University students have joined the NHS frontline as nurses and paramedics, as well as making PPE and creating content to help parents and carers to homeschool their children.
2. University of Hertfordshire professor co-creates a social distancing videogame
Professor Richard Wiseman has collaborated with a French video game developer, Martin Jacob, to create the videogame, Can You Save The World?
The purpose of the game is to help people understand the importance of social distancing during the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. University of Exeter volunteers help make disposable face shields for NHS workers
The Volunteers from the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Physical Sciences (EMPS) have been working with local businesses to make essential face shields for healthcare professionals.
The team have assembled around 2,000 face shields, supplying local healthcare teams including the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital.
4. Derby Theatre staff provide support to care-leavers during the lockdown – University of Derby
Staff at Derby Theatre, which is owned by the University of Derby, have been supporting care leavers while the country is in lockdown.
As well as delivering weekly food parcels, the team phone to check on the wellbeing of care leavers and they’ve also launched an online book club.
5. University of Bedfordshire Honorary joins local food bank delivery team
Tom Grennan is an Honorary Doctor of Arts at the University of Bedfordshire and local musician.
He’s joined the Bedford Kindness team, a local community support group helping elderly and vulnerable people cope during the COVID-19 lockdown. His work includes delivering essentials from Bedford Foodbank.
6. Queen Mary University of London lecturer volunteers on frontline NHS maternity ward
Swati Nehete, a Senior Clinical Lecturer at Queen Mary University of London’s Institute of Dentistry, is volunteering on the maternity wards at The Royal London Hospital during the COVID-19 crisis.
7. Middlesex University team makes 50,000 visors to protect healthcare workers
A month ago, a team at Middlesex University started working seven days a week to make essential protective visors for healthcare professionals.
The team have made 50,000 visors so far.
8. University of Hull appeal raises £80,000 for essential Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) materials
Donations from businesses, graduates, staff, students and friends of the university have topped £80,000.
The money raised will be used to fund materials for around 100,000 face shields for healthcare workers on the frontline.
9. Nottingham Trent University student sews scrubs for NHS staff
Katy Thomas, a Nottingham Trent alumna BA Product Design student, has been using her skills to make scrubs for NHS workers at home.